Monday - Friday from 8:30a.m. - 1:30p.m.
Our library has over 21,000 books from 1st through 12th grade. Every year, the school purchases more books to keep our collection up to date with the newest titles. We also accept donations!
School-wide Reading Goal
Our 2019-2020 reading goal is 3,600 books!
Every year we have a school wide reading goal, and if the students achieve that goal, the Parent Club sponsors a field trip for all students. Every Plainsburg student must participate in the program in order to go on the field trip.
- The teachers receive reports on how many books their students have read.
- Each classroom gives their students a goal of a certain amount of books to read (or points to be earned) by the end of every trimester. Ask your student's teacher for more information on their policy.
Scholastic Reading Counts!
The Scholastic Reading Counts! Program was implemented at Plainsburg school in 2003. It is a reading incentive program that helps our students to improve their reading and comprehension at their grade level or one grade level above. It is a comprehensive program that helps teachers, school librarians and administrators to manage, level, monitor and access student reading practice for higher reading performance.
- Self-administered quizzes ensure students have completed a book.
- A database of up to 30 questions per quiz allows student to retake quizzes and receive different questions each time. There are 10 questions per quiz with multiple choice answers. The student is allowed to miss 3 out of the 10 questions.
- Over 71,000 quizzes are in our database at this time and it is updated every 3 months.
- A student or parent can check if a book from home has a quiz on their website: HMH Reading Counts
- When the student passes a reading quiz, they earn points to buy prizes at our Reading Counts! Store at the end of every trimester. The prizes are bought using annual donations from the Parent Club.